Job Title: Senior Analyst, Asset Management
Reports to: Head of Asset Management
The role will be primarily responsible for providing analytical support to maintain and accelerate the LPPI’s investments incorporating the private markets assets allocation portfolio. Key activities include:
- Analysing and assisting with asset allocation in accordance with the agreed investment strategy.
- Selection of direct, indirect investments and investment managers
- Monitoring investments.
- Build knowledge and capability across the investments function in order to support the wider team in the monitoring of external investment mandates/direct investments and to produce management information to facilitate decision making at the highest level.
1. Lead the analysis and research on the allocation of all investment activity and the subsequent management and monitoring, of Private Markets Assets ensuring these are invested in accordance to the agreed Investment Strategy, generating the level of expected investment returns.
2. Working with colleagues, contribute to the LPPI’s objectives to close the funding deficit within a reasonable period of time by maximising expected returns from illiquid assets and ensure the Authority’s investments are:
a. Consistent with the Fund’s investment aims/expected returns and within acceptable risks.
b. Managed by the ‘best of breed’ managers taking a lead role in manager selection whilst looking for new mandates and continually monitoring and reviewing existing managers against their level of returns.
c. Placed within appropriate funds which match the Authority’s investment profile and cash flow requirements.
d. Providing value for money by managing the fund’s expense ratio efficiently
e. improving the fund managers’ accountability and asset transparency to the Authority.
3. Develop the Private Markets Investment Strategy whilst exploring new investment opportunities in the illiquids market.
4. Ensuring the administration and supporting the management of Alternative Assets, liquidity analysis and cash flow provisions are performed effectively and efficiently.
5. Contribute to the holistic management of the Fund’s assets by supporting the development and implementation of the Asset Liability Management programme especially in respect of alternative assets.
1. Lead accountability for completion of new investment due diligence work/reports. This will include both qualitative and quantitative analysis.
2. Assist the Investment Director in identifying, and proposing appropriate recommendations in relation to new illiquid investment opportunities in single fund, secondary’s, direct and co-investment structures, taking the lead in the selection of appropriate fund managers for alternative assets activities.
3. Support effective running of alternative asset fund manager meetings and be responsible for all up keep of meeting notes and proactively follow up on all subsequent action points as necessary.
4. Contribute to the management and monitoring of alternative asset performance by processing/reviewing all investment and accounting information from the fund managers to ensure the LPPI alternative assets are managed in accordance to expected targets, returns, investment guidelines and parameters.
5. Responsible for providing advice and guidance on alternative asset related quantitative related matters to the Investments team, Executive Management Team, various investment committees and Board members as appropriate.
6. Contribute to the general monitoring and analysis of the alternative asset performance, report findings to the CIO/Investment Committee/Investment Sub Committee and Executive Management Team on a regular basis.
7. Lead on monitoring of manager communications including tracking voting rights at AGM/EGM.
8. Support the operations team as required.
9. Maintain the LPPI internal alternative assets data, ensuring data (including legal documentation for all investments) from alternative asset managers is complete and kept up to date.
10. Lead on peer comparison analysis for alternative investments.
11. Continually develop both knowledge and skill on all matters relating to alternative assets under guidance of senior colleague and to attend professional courses and/or seminars.
12. Attend appropriate private markets networking group activities in order to develop relationships with other alternative assets investors.
13. Contribute to the design, development and implementation of the Asset Liability Modelling programme as directed.
14. Actively support the LPPI’s equality programme, both internally and externally, along with all other corporate policy initiatives, as directed.
1. Ideally three-five years plus experience and demonstrable successful performance record within alternatives research role or within a direct investment role in private equity or infrastructure.
2. Previous experience and/or interest in co-investment and direct deals.
3. Demonstrable theoretical knowledge and practical experience of portfolio optimisation and asset allocation encompassing alternative asset knowledge.
4. Qualitative and quantitative analytical capabilities including advanced use of spreadsheets and database software.
5. High level of demonstrable knowledge in alternative asset classes of Private Equity, Infrastructure and Real estate.
6. Demonstrable experience of illiquid deal execution and relevant associated administration skills.
7. Degree level educated preferably gained within a finance, economics or Maths/statistics related discipline.
8. Capability to develop and follow an investment process based on the Investment Strategy Statement and demonstrable conformance therein.
9. Demonstrable highly effective communication, influencing and relationship management skills including personal credibility in delivering strategic information to peers, Executive Committee and Board Members to facilitate high level decision making.
10. The ability to build positive and productive working relationships with a variety of internal and external partners including Fund Managers.
11. Good level of numerical, analytical and report writing skills, including the ability to use MS office tools to assist in communication of key messages to facilitate decisions.
12. Existing developed industry network or ability to develop with stakeholders at all levels maintaining contacts and using skill to professional advantage for investment opportunity origination.
13. A proactive, self-motivate team player who has the ability to manage a high workload with multiple deadlines ensuring expectations are managed throughout.
14. The ability to understand and support the LPP’s commitment to combat discrimination and promote equality of opportunity.
Reasonable adjustment will be made to working arrangements to accommodate a person with a disability who otherwise would be prevented from undertaking t