Assistant Shop Manager - Crow Road, Glasgow
Part time - 7 hours per week
£3,343.49pa plus excellent benefits
(starting salary subject to experience)
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. We now help around 190,000 cats and kittens through our network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 adoption centres and homing centres.
As one of the Assistant Shop Manager for our Charity shop in Crow Road, Glasgow, you will assist the Shop Manager and second Assistant Shop Manager in managing all shop activities and together, achieve set targets and maximise financial contribution to the charity.
- To help oversee and manage all shop volunteers and other activities in the shop
- To help recruit, train and manage an effective team of volunteers in line with Cats Protection’s (CP) volunteer management best practice guidance
- To help maintain the working rota and to update weekly, ensuring optimum cover
- To help ensure the shop and working practices comply with Health & Safety Legislation and CP policies in this area
- To be responsible for the day to day running of the shop on days when the Shop Manager is not present, ensuring it meets agreed income and expenditure targets for CP
- To ensure that the shop is open for its set trading times, as agreed with the ARM
- Along with the Shop Manager, to work with the local CP branch/Adoption Centre (where they exist) and local community to ensure sufficient stock is donated to the shop, in order to achieve the financial targets
- On days when the Shop Manager is not present, to take responsibility for donated goods and ensure proper presentation and merchandising to fullest potential, including:
- Sorting and steaming clothing
- Pricing and ticketing
- Regular rotation of stock
- Security of all donated goods
- To maximise returns from the Gift Aid scheme, ensuring it is operated to its full potential and within HMRC guidelines. This includes:
- Actively promoting the scheme via the shop and the shop team
- Meeting weekly targets for new sign ups to the scheme
- Ensuring back room processes prioritise Gift Aided goods
- Keeping the shop team informed and motivated about the scheme
- To help ensure the highest standards of customer care and service both personally and via the shop volunteer team
- To take responsibility for the delivery, security, accounting, merchandising and stock-taking of bought-in-goods on days when the Shop Manager is not present
- To work with the Shop Manager to look for and implement new development opportunities for the shop on an ongoing basis
- To take responsibility for the shop’s accounting procedures including cash reconciliation, daily banking and till procedures so as to ensure that correct transactions and cash handling procedures are adhered to at all times, and to report immediately any significant shortfalls to the Shop Manager
- To take responsibility for the inventory, security and maintenance of all equipment and fittings on the premises
- To be fully conversant with the use of the till in the shop and ensure the satisfactory completion of the daily till and banking procedures, both personally and through the shop team
- Where the shop is associated directly with a Branch or Adoption Centre, to maintain excellent communication and working relationships with local colleagues (paid and voluntary)
- Provide information to the public regarding CP and its work through advertising, participation in events, issuing neutering vouchers (where applicable), maintaining the CP brand and in other ways as appropriate, both personally and through the shop team
- To help maintain good levels of communication within the shop team
- We’re looking for an individual who is highly self-motivated, positive and resilient and who has previous retail experience
- A strong communicator with excellent organisational skills
- You will have the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of people and be able to work well on own initiative
- Candidates who have previous retail management experience are highly desirable, as are those who have previously worked in the charity retail sector.
In common with all posts, ensure compliance with Cats Protection’s policies and procedures, statutory obligations and best practice, and to undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required by the Chief Executive. This job description may be subject to review in the light of the developing organisation and in consultation with the post holder.
Closing Date: 19 November 2018
Interview Date: TBC
To reward you we have a pay scheme which provides the opportunity to progress within your pay band, subject to satisfactory performance. We also offer a range of benefits which include a generous holiday entitlement, a competitive pension offering, a private medical scheme, and a death in service scheme.
Cats Protection is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.